CHRS Launches First Annual Fund Drive to Support Pressing Initiatives
CHRS has had an extraordinarily busy year and 2009 looks even more challenging as we continue our fight to protect the historic fabric of our community. We are heavily engaged in leadership roles in dozens of areas including:
- Eastern Market Plaza – CHRS is actively engaged in discussions on the creation of a Town Square at the Eastern Market Plaza. Our position is to integrate business, residential, and aesthetic planning of the highest order. Watch for much more discussion on this in 2009.
- The 11th Street Bridge project – We’ve taken a major watch-dog role related to the proposed reconstruction of the 11th Street bridge with its enlargement from 8 to 12 lanes. This initiative would bring additional commuter traffic through the Hill and new flyovers carrying these lanes would impinge on Capitol Hill in a very substantial way.
- Parking – We held a forum on proposed changes to zoning regulations that would have a major impact on Capitol Hill. Key issues are: who would qualify for on-street parking; how much parking would be allowed for office buildings; should apartment dwellers qualify for parking permits; and should there be special parking restrictions near entertainment and shopping areas. Thanks to CHRS, our voices and recommendations will be heard by the city.
- Beyond the Boundaries Program – This program surveys historic assets in NE and SE with a view to expanding the existing historic district or creating new historic districts.
- Preservation Cafés – Our free café events covered such topics as historic windows, creating an accessible home, and digging out your basement. A program on the Eastern Market restoration was especially popular.
Our expanding portfolio of initiatives takes the time of many, many dedicated volunteers. It also takes a great deal of money! Membership dues and other sources simply do not cover the costs of CHRS’s work to maintain our goal of keeping Capitol Hill as a livable, walkable community.
That is why we are, for the first time in over 50 years, asking you to please consider a 100% tax-deductible gift to the CHRS Annual Fund in addition to your membership dues.
Your contribution will support all of the important work CHRS undertakes. Please be generous. Your gift really will make a difference. Members, businesses, and others who wish to help can make a fully tax-deductible contribution by using the form below or donating online with a credit card or PayPal account.
Click here for CHRS Annual Fund form.
Click here to Supoort CHRS via credit card or PayPal
The Capitol Hill Restoration Society is a 501(c)(3) organization. CHRS is volunteer-run charitable organization and dues are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.