CHRS Mission Statement
What does CHRS do?
- Protects Capitol Hill’s residential character by challenging
threatening and inappropriate development and incursions into the
neighborhood by increased cross-town traffic.
- Helps residents to protect their property values, and offers
advice on the maintenance and repair of historic buildings.
- Tries to ensure that city-wide zoning regulations are applied
consistently, in a manner that enhances the neighborhood.
- Works to improve city services such as tree and park
maintenance, street repairs, trash collection, and recycling and
engages in community issues like public safety, surplus school
disposal, and Ward 6-wide planning.
- Fights to preserve Eastern Market and neighborhood business
districts, and currently tracks plans for the Navy Yard and Southeast
Federal Center expansion.
- Organizes activities like the annual House and
Garden Tour that promote Capitol Hill as a fine residential
To become a member of CHRS, click
800 East Capitol Street, NE after the blizzard of 1897.
Photo: Mary Ellen Abrecht.